I wish I could say I’m a gamer. I’m not. I’ve never excelled in computer games and completely comprehended their mechanism. Still, I love the idea.
After reading ‘Explore Like a Pirate’ by Michael Matera (for more visit his website) I got the urge to do something similar with my children. SMART amp seemed to be the best solution to provide children with 24/7 access and still be able to have the game as a part of our sessions.
I came with the idea of a fantasy game called ‘Dib Abuha’ in which children would get coins for completing particular challenges which would help them practice their English and would help them prepare for their SAT exam. First, I asked children whether they would like to play the game and told them that any time they were co-creators and encouraged them to come up with ideas and rules.
The whole idea was very simple: they started as school children in their uniforms and on their quest got to the blacksmith’s who wouldn’t let them in until they pay him 100 coins (earned by revising SAT mock exams). Until then we played at the same pace, but once they got inside the workshop they could choose their own quests to get a helmet, chest armor and greaves. Whoever got the complete armor could go through the gate and undergo duels and tournaments.
SMART amp made the quest really flexible due to these reasons:
- the main workspace could take children anywhere online or let them upload SMART Notebook files with SMART lab challenges.
- it linked children to their leaderboard made in Google Sheets to show how much they had earned.
- it allowed gain or restrict access to particular challenges via the sharing option.
I really enjoyed creating the challenges and it didn’t take me much extra time as it was just a different way of doing activities. Yet, it definitely got most of children carried away and work hard on their tasks. Fancy going on a quest with SMART amp?
Want to give SMART amp, part of SMART Learning Suite, a try? Get your free trial now.
- Ways to Pair Up 1:1 Tech to Your Students’ Ages and Abilities - August 30, 2016
- Questing with SMART amp - May 12, 2016