Asynchronous learning will continue to gain momentum into 2021. It's an effective strategy that is used to allow for student choice, place and pace in a blended instructional environment. Asynchronous Learning is an important area of focus for educators everywhere as we enter 2021 and a big theme covered at the Global EDU Summit: Jan 18-29, 2021.
The powerful benefits of Asynchronous Learning Strategies
Asynchronous learning strategies allow students to process information at their own pace, deepening the learning experience. These strategies:
- Increase a learner's intrinsic motivation by providing them autonomy and ownership in the learning process
- Drive deeper learning by providing individualized processing time and allowing the necessary repetition and review
- Help learners develop collaborative problem solving skills increasing opportunities for collaborative work and allowing for peer and personal reflection
Essential components to consider when developing Asynchronous Learning Strategies
Creating well-designed asynchronous activities doesn’t need to be complicated or time consuming, but they should address the top essential components of asynchronous learning:
- Allow for voice and choice
- Make sure directions are clear and all resources are readily accessible
- Include structured opportunities for collaboration and peer-to-peer teaching.
Asynchronous Learning in Context: Chemistry lesson download
To put context around what that looks like, we’ve created a chemistry lesson available on the SMART Exchange. This lesson provides a guided asynchronous learning experience.
Download the lesson - it's free in SMART Exchange! You will see how Asynchronous Learning can place in any learning environment and benefits our students by creating a learner-driven experience with an emphasis on peer collaborate, voice and choice. Get the entire lesson:
This lesson is in the SMART Exchange.
Need access to SMART Exchange? Simply sign up for our free 45-day trial of SMART Learning Suite Online for free access to this lesson and many, many more for 45 days.